The 20I6 EyeEm Photography Awards
1. The 2016 EyeEm Festival & Awards (the “Competition”or “Event”) is organized and held by EyeEm Mobile GmbH, Kohlfurter Str. 41/43, 10999 Berlin (“EyeEm”, “we” or “us”).
2. When you enter the Competition by submitting a photo, you agree to these Competition Rules (“Rules”). Therefore, please read them carefully prior to your entry.
General Entry Rules
3. The Competition is open to everyone who has registered an EyeEm account and is over 18 years of age, or 16 years of age with parental or legal guardian consent to take part in the Competition according to these Rules. It is your responsibility to provide a valid signed parental or legal guardian consent upon our request. If EyeEm does not receive such written consent for any winner under the age of 18 years within seven calendar days of notification, EyeEm shall be entitled to select an alternative winner from the shortlist.
4. By entering the Competition, you agree to receive information about the Competition and connected events, invitations etc. via email and within the EyeEm mobile application (the “App”). You may unsubscribe from receiving such information at any time. In case your photo has been selected for the shortlist or as a winning photo, we will contact you via email. Please make sure that the email address stored in your EyeEm account is up to date.
How to enter
5. To enter the Competition, you must upload your photo to the EyeEm platform using the App for iPhone or Android or the Web-Upload, following the on-screen instructions. Entries submitted via email or otherwise will not be accepted. You must select one of the officially designated five category albums to tag your photo for submission. Photos without the proper album tag cannot be considered. You may enter as many photos to the Competition as you want.
6. Submission deadline: Photos must be submitted by 11.59:59 pm (GMT) on Monday, June 6 2016 and meet the Photo Requirements provided below.
7. The photo you submit must be your original work, which means you and only you have taken it.
8. Photos submitted must be taken between June 1 2015 and June 6 2016.
9. Photos must not contain watermarks or photography credits.
10. You may not submit a photo that infringes upon the copyrights, trademarks, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violates any person’s rights of privacy or publicity, or contains any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, vulgar, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic content or content that could otherwise be deemed obscene or inappropriate.
11. EyeEm reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any photo that does not comply with the Photo requirements above.
Rating or Voting Process
12. EyeEm may at any time run an online rating and/or voting process to allow EyeEm account holders and/or members of the public to vote for a favorite photo from the submitted photos and/or the shortlist.
13. If there is sufficient evidence - at EyeEm’s sole discretion - to assume malpractice and manipulation of the rating process, then EyeEm has the right to remove the respective photo and, if necessary, award the prize to a different entrant. EyeEm’s decision is final and binding.
Selection of Winners
14. All eligible entries will be reviewed and judged by a selected jury. The jury will evaluate the photos based on the originality, creativity, quality and relevance to the category theme.
15. The jury will select a shortlist of up to 20 photos from each of the 5 categories and will announce the shortlist during the 2016 EyeEm Festival & Awards ceremony on August 27 2016 in Berlin, or prior to the ceremony on EyeEm’s website, blog or mobile App, at its own discretion.
16. From the shortlist, the jury will select the five individual category winners (i.e. one winner per category) and five additional overall honorable mention recipients. They will also select the 2016 Photographer of the Year as the final winner of the EyeEm Festival & Awards. This will be announced at the 2016 EyeEm Festival & Awards ceremony on August 27 2016 in Berlin.
17. The decisions of the jury are final and binding. This does not affect EyeEm’s right to determine new winners in case that winners are unreachable via email, a submitted photo does not comply with the Photo requirements, and in the cases provided for in section 3.
18. All winners will be notified via the email address linked to their account on EyeEm prior to the official announcements, but agree to keep this information confidential until it is officially announced at the award ceremony on August 27 2016 in Berlin, or officially announced by EyeEm on EyeEm’s website, blog or mobile App, whichever comes first.
19. The 2016 EyeEm Photographer of the Year will receive one (1) economy class return flight tickets for the winner to attend the 2016 EyeEm Festival & Awards ceremony on August 27, 2016 in Berlin from an international airport. The final winner will also receive hotel accommodation in a standard double or twin room including breakfast for three (3) consecutive nights on August 26, 27 and 28 2016. The travel itinerary and hotel will be determined and booked by EyeEm at its own discretion. Flights might not be direct. No additional costs will be provided or covered (such as transport to and from winner’s home to the departure airport, transport from and to Berlin airport, meals and drinks, car hire, travel insurance, personal expenses, visas etc.). Please note that the winner might need a valid credit card with sufficient available funds in order to check into the hotel for security deposit purposes. Travel insurance is at the discretion of the winner. The prize is time critical, and entrants must be available for contact via email. It is the winner’s responsibility to ensure that he/she is available to take the prize on the relevant dates, to check all travel document requirements or visas and to get travel insurance.
20. All prizes are non-transferable and non-exchangeable for cash or other products or services. EyeEm reserves the right to modify or replace the Competition prizes at its sole discretion. Please note that, for the distribution of prizes as determined, you may need to provide your postal address.
21. EyeEm is committed to protecting and promoting photographer’s copyrights. You will retain full copyright and only grant non-exclusive rights to use the submitted photo to the extent defined in section 22.
22. You grant EyeEm and its Event partners (marketing entities, sponsors, distribution partners, as applicable) the non-exclusive and royalty-free right to use the submitted photo worldwide in all media for the realization, promotion and advertising of the 2016 EyeEm Festival & Awards and related events (such as exhibitions), including the right to make the submitted photo publicly available at EyeEm (including website, EyeEm Blog, social media channel posts), to publish the photo within EyeEm photo books and the EyeEm Magazine, and to use it for press publications organized by EyeEm. For these purposes, the photo may be copied, modified and adapted to fit the required format. The right to use the photo is limited to a period of 3 years after the official announcement of the final winner. However, you agree that your photo can be used for referencing purposes within the EyeEm platform (Website, Blog, App) and connected social media channels in perpetuity.
23. Any submitted photo used by EyeEm will be credited with your username and/or full name. By submitting your photo, you also agree, in the event you are chosen as a winner, to participate in related publicity and to the use of your name and likeness relating to the Competition and related events without compensation.
24. When submitting a photo, you warrant that you are the sole copyright holder of the submitted photo and you confirm that you have obtained all permissions to use the photo, as necessary according to the laws of the country in which your photo was created.
25. In no event will EyeEm, Event partners, its advertising or promotion agencies, be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind arising out of any entrant’s participation in the Competition or relating to any prizes granted.
Image by @marenkramer